Wednesday, August 20, 2008

things i said at 21

in my last semeter of college i took a writing about cultural issues class, it was one of the more personally productive classes i participated in. as part of the requirments, we were asked to keep a "free" writting journal, throught out the semester. it was basically my thoughts on what was happening at the time; i found it today and it was filled with my 21 year old wisdom. but some of it was just kind of right on and i will now share those choice thoughts from k-jo, 2k4:

"when i was 16 my parents, ginny and bill, bought me a promise ring. i was promising to remain sexually pure, or something, until marriage. it's silver with a red garnet in the center. i wore it for a long time. then i stopped.
i don't remember why i stopped wearing it. Or, maybe i do and just don't want to talk about it.
i am telling you this because i found it in my jewlery box this morning. it's still shiney and the garnet's still there. it's not so much a ring anymore, as much as an oval, an oval which is not the shape of a finger.
i tried putting it on, and i couldn't. i think it means something.
i don't think i would want to wear it anymore anyway. this is a comment on my current state. my parents wouldn't understand."

No comments: